Inspired by this post, and in anticipation of my twentieth birthday coming up in less than a week, I decided that I would create a list of twenty life lessons that I've learned thus far. Seeing as I've only been an adult for two whole years (WOOHOO!!), and my experience has been limited to voting in a municipal election (not even provincial or federal *insert eye roll*) and setting my own doctor’s appointment for the very first time, I don't have much of my own advice to give. That means this list will be primarily composed of lessons that I have learned from other people near and dear to my heart. So without further ado, here goes!
- Accept apologies if they are made. People make mistakes; you might make one someday.
- Drink more H2O and less caffeine. Your body will thank you.
- Get away. Even if it's for a day, just go somewhere new.
- Good relationships are based on two things: respect and trust. Make sure you have both (and that you're giving both).
- It won't hurt you to let go. If something is meant to work out, it will.
- Tell your people you love them. Especially your parents... They won't always be there.
- It's okay to cry. Sometimes it's therapeutic and you'll feel better after you let it out.
- Always carry utensils in your bag—you never know when you'll need them.
- Don't compromise your beliefs for anyone. Your ideas are what make you, you.
- Learn a new language. Start with the swear words; it's a fun conversation starter. I personally suggest Spanish or German.
- Turn off the location on your phone when you don't need it, and put a sticker on your laptop camera. Privacy is something people have died for and you should not take it for granted.
- Always try something once, even if it’s intimidating at first glance. You'll never know if you like something unless you try it first.
- Wake up early. You'll have much more time in the day to do everything you need and want to do.
- Eat breakfast. Even if it's a granola bar, having something in your body to start the day will give you energy.
- Self-care is extremely important. Take a second out of your day to be mindful of your body and your emotions.
- Trust your gut. If something or someone gives you a bad feeling, don't go along with it/them.
- Sit on a roof and watch the stars. Preferably with new friends and a boombox cranking good tunes.
- Facing your fears will give you the courage to pursue your dreams
- Your only limit is yourself. Anything you want, you can achieve. And finally...
- Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be...
BONUS: If plans with friends fall through, don’t be disappointed. Accept that life is constantly changing and not everything is set in stone.
So that's it. Twenty (and one bonus) life lessons. I hope this list inspires you to reflect on some of the lessons you have learned during your lifetime. Or to reflect on the lessons you have personally learned.
This list is far from over and as I get older, it will continue to grow right along with me. I can’t wait to see what my twentieth year will bring and how many more life lessons I will learn. I am so grateful to have such a beautiful support system around me teaching me all the things I’m too stubborn or naive to see and I hope you all are lucky enough to have people around you to do the same. Take life one day at a time and enjoy all that it has to offer.
Have a beautiful day, my lovely readers!