Motivation is powered by Vocal.
Vocal is a platform that provides storytelling tools and engaged communities for writers, musicians, filmmakers, podcasters, and other creators to get discovered and fund their creativity.
How does Vocal work?
Creators share their stories on Vocal’s communities. In return, creators earn money when they are tipped and when their stories are read.
How do I join Vocal?
Vocal welcomes creators of all shapes and sizes. Join for free and start creating.
To learn more about Vocal, visit our resources.Show less
Self love is the most important love you will ever receive, so why do so many people struggle with this?
In a world of photoshop, trolls, and everything in between, I'm not surprised people of today's society are struggling with loving themselves. The celebrities they see on TV have been reconstructed with plastic surgery and magazines plaster airbrushed versions of everyone so that we are left to believe our bodies are just one big imperfection.
BUT that is not the truth. We are all beautiful in our own ways and we should embrace our bodies. Here are 10 tips for achieving self love:
- Unfollow, stop reading, and ban any celebrity, blog, or magazine that encourages or supports being self depreciating and picking out "imperfections." For example, Kim Kardashian's ad for @flattummyco lollipops that apparently encourage weight loss. Not only is this an unsafe way to diet, but it is also suggesting that every single person's goal is to have a flat tummy. This is not the case. Flat tummies, chubby tummies—none of it matters. Everyone is gorgeous.
- Start a skincare routine. Whether this be washing your face and moisturizing before you go to bed and after you wake up or it's a 16 step, thorough cleanse involving coconut oil, toner, and a massage from Tom Cruise, do what works for you and keep to it. It'll make you feel cleaner and it's a great way to start and end your days.
- Leave yourself positive notes. Dot post-it notes around the house that promote positivity. Leave a "today will be a good day" sign on the front door so you see it before work or leave a "you look good every day" sign on your mirror to remind you that you DO look good. Make it as creative and as funny as you like—for example, maybe you need to be reminded that you are as badass as Princess Leia. Whatever helps you smile and love yourself, then do it.
- Get rid of toxic people. You see this everywhere, and you may be sick of hearing it. Getting rid of the toxic people in your life may not be easy, but it does you a world of good. You're no longer clouded by their bad thoughts or their negative outlook on life, and you can focus on you. Believe me, you'll see the difference in no time.
- Treat yourself. If you're trying to eat healthy, treat yourself for doing well with a less healthy snack that you've missed (like that chocolate bar you've been dying to eat?). Yeah, treat yourself. One thing isn't going to set you back loads. Self love is all about balance. If you really love the cinema but have no one to go with, just go. Do it for yourself. It's great fun and you truly are treating yourself. Do small things that make you happy.
- Find your style. Wear what makes you comfortable instead of trying to live up to the trends of today. You want to wear a fluffy jumper? Wear it. You feel comfortable with your hair up? Do it. You feel sexy in a tight dress? You wear that shit. Self love is about making yourself happy.
- Follow positivity and self love accounts on social media. On Instagram, I have an account called @bujopositivity where I post positive messages but also follow other self love accounts which give tips, support, and love. It's so useful and seeing positive messages pop up on your feed might just make your day.
- Never give up on your dreams. Your dreams are so important, and if you want to achieve them then you have to keep going! Don't just give up at the first challenge you have. Get the life you want, work for the job you want. If at first you don't succeed, smile in the face of your haters and try again. Keep your head held high.
- Have a fresh start. It doesn't matter if you're 15, 35, or 65. You can always have a fresh start. If you've made a mistake, if something has gone wrong in your life, you can always start again. It won't be easy, but if it makes you happy, then do it. Despite this, I don't mean just quit your job because you're bored. I don't mean end your marriage because of something small. Some things are worth fighting for, but some things just need to start over.
- Last of all, never forget your worth. You are a talented, strong, attractive, and powerful individual that can do anything you put your mind to. You should love yourself for all the good things you have done, and you should continue to love yourself so that that there will be good things to come in the future. Remember, we're all different and there is only one you. Love you, because you're worth being loved.